Edward Rogers wins control of Canada’s largest wireless carrier in court

The Supreme Court of British Columbia has ruled that Edward Rogers is the legitimate chair of Rogers Communications Inc. after a feud among the family members.

Edward Rogers is now in control of Rogers Communication Inc. following a court ruling.
Edward Rogers is now in control of Rogers Communication Inc. following a court ruling. (Reuters)

Rogers Communications Inc has reinstated ousted Chairman Edward Rogers after a court backed his petition to constitute a new board, drawing curtains on a rare public battle for the control of a Canadian company even as the family feud showed no signs of ending.


The Supreme Court of British Columbia ruled in favour of Edward Rogers on Friday, handing a big victory to the late founder’s son in a dispute that pitted him against his mother and sisters and had weighed on the stock.

The rare public fight in the Canadian corporate world was sparked over the question of who should lead the company, and some analysts have raised concerns the dispute could potentially impact Rogers’ $16.1 billion (C$20 billion) bid for rival Shaw Communications.

Joe Natalie row

Soon after the ruling however, Edward Rogers said that he supported CEO Joe Natale, though the entire conflict was sparked after he tried and failed to remove Natale as chief executive, saying at the time he had lost confidence in Natale’s ability to lead the combined entity after the Shaw deal.

“Much has been written about Rogers CEO Joe Natale and his future,” Edward Rogers said in a statement after Friday’s ruling. “Mr. Natale remains CEO and a director of Rogers Communications and has the Board’s support.”

He said the focus must now return to closing the Shaw deal, the company’s biggest M&A.

In a short statement, Rogers Communications noted the court’s decision and accepted Edward Rogers as the chair, and said Natale remained as CEO.

Gunmen have killed at least 15 soldiers in an attack on a military outpost in a remote part of southwest Niger where extremist militants operate.

The attackers raided the post in the village of Anzourou near the border with Mali on Thursday evening, officials said on Friday.

“Faced with the strength of the terrorists, the soldiers withdrew to another military position,” Amadou Harouna Maiga, a member of the Union Committee for Peace and Security in Tillabery, told Reuters news agency.

“Between 10 and 15 soldiers fell and five others went missing,” he said.

The committee, named after the surrounding region, is an organisation that monitors local conflicts.

No immediate claim of responsibility

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the assault.

A local affiliate of Daesh has killed hundreds of civilians in a series of attacks in the same area this year.

Thursday’s raid came two days after 69 people were killed in another area near the Malian border about 100 miles away.

Armed groups have stepped up attacks in a poverty-stricken, arid zone of West Africa encompassing the borderlands of Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso in recent years.

Some linked with Al Qaeda and Daesh have sought to seize control of communities and drive out local and international military forces.

Thousands of civilians have died and millions have fled the unrest.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.